one word reviews of Movies and TV

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Matt Simply Loves Anna Kendrick: Pitch Perfect

GUILTY
Pitch Perfect - Guilty

I'm really going to put myself out there with who I love this month. I could be cliche and pick an actor the likes of Mike Ruffalo (who I still might) or perhaps even Joaquin Phoenix, but I'm singing the praises, fittingly enough, of one special lady who by all accounts would be Jennifer Lawrence if Jennifer Lawrence wasn't Jennifer Lawrence, if that makes sense.

I'm sucker for short girls with attitudes, and its the reason why I married one.  I guess I like a challenge and someone who can keep up with my smartassness.  That's why I love Anna Kendrick.  She's the perfect combination of spunky, deadpan, and cute.  She's a proven indie darling and has the chops to hang with some of the biggest actors in Hollywood.

One thing I do find surprising about Kendrick, and I've mentioned this before in my "50/50" review, are all the negative comments she gets from critics, mainly over the things that she says.  Yes, she has a little bit of a potty mouth, but that's what makes her even more charming and real.  So many young actresses want to act prim and proper and act like they need to impress everyone in order to get jobs and gain fans.  My belief is that being yourself is the only way to endear yourself to a much larger audience.  Just take a look at her Newcastle ad, it's pure Anna, and it perfectly sums her up.

For the most part, you won't find me watching many films that have a lot of musical numbers, or feature music as a main plot point.  What you might find me watching, however, are films that are either directed by Christopher Guest, which is ironic because I love "This is Spinal Tap" and "A Mighty Wind.  Again, ironic, but there are exceptions to rules all the time, and 2013 found me watching "Pitch Perfect" starring the wonderful Anna Kendrick, over and over again.  Yes, it's my biggest guilty pleasure of this past year.

"Perfect" is in fact pretty perfect, if you're looking for unexpectedly funny performances, catchy-as-f*ck songs, and of course, Anna Kendrick.  Now, there are some cliches of course.  Anna plays the typical outsider role, full of angst and a tongue as sharp as her wit.  You have the Type-A leader, played by Anna Camp, who is also extremely extremely charming, and of course the fat girl comic relief, played by Rebel Wilson.  Yes, you've seen glimpses of this film if you've ever seen a "Bring It On" or "Step Up" film, but what sets "Perfect" apart is it's dry wit and it's actors who you might not think can bring the funny, and pleasantly surprise you.

As previously mention, "Perfect" follows Beca (Kendrick) a college freshmen who is more interested in moving to L.A. and paying her dues than her Intro to Philosophy class.  After an ultimatum by her father to move her out to California if she joins an extra-curricular activity, Beca decides that "organized nerd singing" is the way to go, as she joins the Barden Bellas, an all-female A Capella group.  Of course hijinks ensue, tension is created, and finally we have redemption come the very end where the Bellas win.  It's typical of the "go to college and have an adventure" genre, but there is enough humor and heart to set it apart from the rest of a tired genre.

While "Up In the Air" garnered her her most critical acclaim, and "Twilight" gave her her largest film roll out, "Perfect" is Kendrick's star-making performance.  It allows her to act, bring the comedy, and of course, sing.  Now again, I'm not the biggest fan of singing and musical, but for some reason, I find myself singing just about every time I watch this film.

Despite the fact that Kendrick is playing another teen cliche, as I mentioned earlier, she is still able to create a character that feels new and interesting.  The "mysterious alternative girl who secretly loves things" has been done since "The Breakfast Club" but Kendrick brings her wit, and spunky personality to the role that's the harbinger for the entire film.  She's the heart, soul, and engine that guides the story.  Beca is that girl you saw in school that you always wanted to say something to, but you noticed the giant "F*ck Off" on her forehead.  "Perfect" shows you one thing;  girls have a soft spot for 1980s films, and if you have an even half-way decent singing voice and red hair, you got a shot at that girl.

All in all, "Pitch Perfect" is one of those films that you might feel guilty for liking, until you see how many people actually love it.  So much so, "Pitch Perfect 2" is being fast-tracked, with the ever amazing Elizabeth Banks behind the camera, and Kendrick likely returning in the starring role once again.  So you'll have to aca-scuse me, I have some singing to do.

Fun Fact:  Sorry Kristen Stewart fans, but Kendrick is the only actor from the "Twilight" series that has been nominated for an Academy Award in 2010's, "Up In the Air." 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Simplistic Reviews