one word reviews of Movies and TV

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Timecop

Timecop: Timeless
99mins/1994/Action

Growing up in the 90's there're a few movies a boy must watch before he becomes a man...

GoldenEye
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Hard Boiled
Point Break
Demolition Man

and Timecop!

Well maybe not Timecop or Demolition Man, but damn if Timecop doesn't grow some hair on your chest then maybe you should rethink your life. Now I'm not going write all about the issues this film contains, mostly its the plot holes this film fosters. If your not one to pickup on plot holes while watching movies, this film is a bit different. They pop out like a sore thumb and you will not be able to shake them off your mind. One without spoiling anything is brought up in the beginning. A character states time travel isn't possible in the future. The reason is because it hasn't happened yet. Okay, that's fine I accept that. But then in the film Van Damme goes into the future. Before I go into a rage and reason why this could and could not happen, the simple fact is they state he can't, then they shouldn't have written that into the film if they're going to go against what they said. Another is the vehicle they use to time travel disappears, but in a very odd fashion they come back in one. So how is that possible?

Man! I said I wouldn't talk about those damn issues yet I did. How does that lying feel to you Timecop? How does it sit with you?

Okay this isn't a rant, but a review so I'll stop myself from making that jump.

What this film is but pure fun and enjoyment. It's a Jean-Claude Van Damme film, with 

JVCD high kicks! 
JVCD Acting! 
And JVCD Mullet!

This is the kind of film you watch with your buddies laughing and poking fun at. Timecop has a interesting story that might seem generic but at the same time it's somewhat special. Time travel mixed with an evil politician who uses the program for his own gain. Ron Silver plays the politician McComb, he is the highlight of this film. Definitely my favorite part of the cast. Mia Sara plays Melissa. JVCD character's wife. I've always liked Mia Sara and she looks really beautiful here but something about her voice kills me. It's soft and seems to carry no emotion. This is the only film she seems to do this in and it ticks me off, a shit ton. Since we're on the topic of what ticks me off, lets look at the biggest problem with this film. For me I've always thought it had possibilities that never came. For me it would of been fun to have more of the past then the present.

Particularly in the beginning with the Civil War scene. I find this to be the stronger part of what could of been. I wish the film took place during this time period, but instead we only got a small taste of it. (Watch the TV spin off series if you as well wanted that) What we got was a race to stop the politician and the generic subplot of the dead wife. Even with that, all is good.

The film is still enjoyable. I mean how can it not? Jean-Claude Van Damme and time travel. Come on!

If you enjoy Van Damme films then you will enjoy Timecop!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Simplistic Reviews