one word reviews of Movies and TV

Monday, July 23, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises (JP's Take)

The Dark Knight Rises: Marvelous

---Caution Spoilers ahead---
2012 has been such a damn good year for films...and we have more to go...I'm looking at you Skyfall!
But-

The Dark Knight Rises is a fantastic film.

and my favorite this year...(Here is a small write up of what I liked and didn't like. When TDKR comes out on Blu-ray, I will do a detail review on all three, the likes and non-likes).

Listen I have read many reviews saying how many people thought it was just fine and not that great, well I believe they're wrong. The biggest problem really is the structure of the story. It seems they tried to jam in what could of been two films, especially the first half. On my second viewing I notice it works a little better then the first showing. I'm gonna guess and say the story structure was a bit jarring probably for some people at first but it didn't get to me too much after a few showings. There are a few other issues including Blake knowing Bruce was Batman and a few plot holes but thats fine, shit happens.

Okay thats really it. Now on to the good stuff! This film is made for a Batman Fan! If you don't know much about Batman I'm gonna guess its a bit tougher (Talia, Bruce and Selina's romance, the alluded to Killer Croc and so on). All the great call backs to Begins and Dark Knight work. The story is great. The acting is fantastic. The Cinematography is perfection. That IMAX was mind blowing awesome! Action was top notch and the best of the three films. Music is and like always, kickass. This is the best acting of Bale's Batman. Catwoman is wonderful and sexy. Bane in my mind works excellent. He looks and sounds great too. We finally see Batman meet his match physically, which I love. In my mind its on the same level as The Dark Knight, if not a bit better. Because The Dark Knight is a great movie for all to love. The Dark Knight Rises really is more of a great Batman film for Batman fans to love (and also non-fans too). With all that you also have the parallels of whats going on in our real world and the film strike me emotionally and work beautifully by doing that. Sadly I have a feeling this film will be a time capsule of the darkness this world we live in has become. But more importantly this film completely finishes a modern classic trilogy.

Sure it may not be a perfect film but how many perfect films are there? Honestly I can count them all on one hand. But its a great film and a fantastic Batman film. We finally got to see Bane done great and it was in a realistic way on the big screen. Talia finally pops up in a film (I wish she was in it longer thou) which I'm happy to see and like her father says in BB, stabs Bruce in the heart (emotional) and Batman (psychically) and a ending that I feel was the perfect ending to complete a perfect trilogy...and NO I don't think this new "Robin" will go on and do films in the future but it just all seems to work for me.

I really love this film, I find it simply amazing and if you don't like it thats fine I don't care, because I loved it. To me it brings back that classic feeling of going to the movies, which many films don't have anymore. But you can't say this film isn't emotional. Especially Alfred's scene at Bruce's grave, I've never been moved that much in all my years with anything Batman. It's tough not to be bias when it comes to Batman. It's really the only thing I ever loved, It's really the only reason I live. I grew up on Batman (especially The Animated Series which is the only reason my parents bought a VHS recorder) it means so much to me, so this film puts a smile on my face, a very big one. Us Batman fans have been to hell once, lets hope Warner Brothers take a few year off and focus on something else other then rebooting Batman because we now have our perfect trilogy and I want to enjoy it for years to come because these films are and will always be legendary.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Simplistic Reviews